There are numerous health and wellness benefits associated with a high fiber diet — it has even been shown that consuming 25g-30g of fiber a day can help you live longer!
There are two types of fiber: soluble fiber and insoluble fiber. Each help regulate bodily functions in different ways.
- Soluble fiber dissolves in water to form a gel-like material during digestion, which helps flush out some unwanted nutrients and slows down digestion.
- Insoluble fiber does not dissolve in water and adds to the bulk of dietary material in the gut, ensuring digestive health, proper bowel movements and preventing constipation.
THE HEALTH BENEFITS OF A HIGH-FIBER DIET
Here’s the nitty gritty of how exactly fiber is so beneficial to our health:
- Fiber can help you maintain a healthy weight: Fiber slows down the digestive process which can contribute to a prolonged feeling of “fullness”, thereby helping to reduce the amount of unnecessary snacking and overindulging.
- Fiber may protect against some cancers: Some studies have shown a connection between lower rates of colon cancer and high-fiber diets, but there is no consensus in the medical community on this particular issue.
- Improved digestive health: A high-fiber diet improves the health of the gut by ensuring a healthy population of gut micro-flora, which use fiber as its food supply and are essential to maintaining a healthy gut.
- Fiber can help improve your heart health: Research has shown the importance of fiber in lowering blood pressure as well as blood cholesterol levels, which reduces your risk of developing Heart Disease.
- Fiber helps lower your blood sugar, and reduces the risk of developing Type 2 Diabetes: As mentioned above, fiber slows down the rate of digestion which helps control the rate at which sugar is absorbed into the blood, which both help maintain a heathy weight. Because being overweight or obese increases your chance of developing Type 2 Diabetes, fiber helps lower that risk. Fiber can also help control blood sugar levels if you have Diabetes.
- Fiber can help you live longer! Because of the many health benefits associated with a high-fiber diet, fiber has also been shown to extend a person’s lifespan by way of preventing many of the most common causes of death.
HOW TO GET MORE FIBRE IN YOUR DIET
Fibre can be found in many fruits, vegetables and whole grains. You can also look to fibre supplement products, but be aware that many of these products can contain unnecessary fillers, chemicals, colourings and added sugar. Omega 3 Nutracleanse is entirely natural, and made from five plant-based, organic ingredients:
- Flaxseed: Flaxseed is rich in omega-3 fatty acids, lignans and both insoluble and soluble fibres.
- Psyllium Husks: Psyllium husk is very rich in soluble fibre.
- Dandelion Root Powder: Dandelion roots are full of inulin — a prebiotic fibre— beta-carotene and potassium.
- Burdock Root Powder: Also high in fibre, Burdock root is full of Antioxidants.
- Fenugreek Seed Powder is high in fibre and is a good source of iron.
This article was published by O3NC in B.C, Canada.